Saturday, May 5, 2012

Gangster Ork Squad

I started these during the Soccer World cup of 2010 and finished them in Oct 2010. I then posted it to the local gaming boards at Chaotic Order (now defunct). I was known there as Far_Traveller. I'm re-posting here on my blog to showcase what an amateur can do with green-stuff and imagination.
"I've accumulated lots of Orks over the few years that i've been playing and collecting. When i tried to come up with a theme for my Orks with all the different types and paint jobs i decided...why? That's when i came up with the Bloody Burning Brain Boyz. A Mek themed army that's organized like a multi-level marketing scheme. Different Nobz come up with their own style to get other Orks involved. The Ork club that gets more loot and teeth, and gives a percentage up the chain, gets more opportunity for glory and fame. They also move further up the ladder to be head of more Orks. But only Meks can rule, with the 12 "Brain Boyz" Meks at the top."

"I've got ideas for clown boyz, Mime Kommandos, pirate boyz, terminator Nobz, Star Trek flash gitz, Wild Boyz (a la Duran Duran), Che Gueverra Gretchin...etc. I'll just work on a "club" a couple times a year but the army should look great in a couple of years. But first i'm going to do 30's Gangster Shoota Boyz with a converted Gangster lowrider truckk."
"I'm going to have a Boss Nob with claw and heavy armor, big shoota, 10 shoota boyz and 3 shoota boyz with stick bombs so that i can switch them in if i want to pay the points and leave them out if not. This will give a core 12 Orks to go in the converted Truckk. Here's the boyz as they are. Lots of potential but not threatening enough to get protection money or work a racket."
 "I chose one to get started with the green stuff."
"I've not had much experience with green stuff so i did some internet research and started. I normally do modeling while my wife and i watch tv. With the world cup on and her a sports fan i should finish this project by the time the world cup is done. At least that's the goal. Here's the first one done. I made a little lily for the lapel."
"I hope to vary the squad with trenchcoats or suits to vary the mix. I also hope to have their gangster names painted on the base. Vinny "the fish", Louie "the vole", Marky "the nose"...or some such. Orks don't completely understand the gangster films they've seen that have been beamed out into space by Terra from long ago but they like the guns, fisticuffs and lingo."

After a week...
"Well, it's been a little more than a week and i've finished most of them with greenstuff."

 "Yes, the middle one above is dressed like Ma Barker."
 "Each one is different so that they will have their own character. As i paint them the names should pop out."

"I still have one more to go and the Nobfather. I decided i'll just make the 12 instead of the 3 extra to save on time. The metal nob is in some pine sol to get the ugly paint job off."

"While the nob is soaking, i'm going to work on the car. In order to keep with GW's 50% rule, i have to make some modifications to the kit i have."
 "I picked the above up at the toy and model show a month back in Sidney. It was the only gangster kit i could find without paying big bucks. It even came with a green paint job."
 "Its size is huge and almost battlewagon sized in length. Especially compared to the original trukk."
 "I'm going to make the undercarriage and engine, as per the original model kit. Then i hope to cut apart the outer body in chunks. Then i'll use old sprue plactic, without the bits, to make the frame of the car that i'll glue/bolt the outer body to. I'll use plasti-card to make larger runners for some orks to ride on, like some old gangster films. I'll post once i have some more."

After two weeks...
"I first put most of the car together and chopped it up."
 "Then i thought about how i would put it back together. Here is the result. I haven't put the tires on yet because i don't want the rubber tires to get spraypainted. Although a hovering Ork Gangster car would be cool, a la Back to the Future."
 "I modified the engine and Tesla'd it. I'll add copper wire around it once I'm done painting the model. I used platicard for the larger side runners with little nubs to keep the ork bases on while they ride "gangster style" to "rub someone out". I used plasticard liberally to simulate repair and reinforcement. Its my first time using plasticard and i'm very impressed at how it looks on a model."
 "Here is a closeup of the driver and gunner i made for the trukk."
 "I've got the gunner on a barrel that i'll paint as a whisky barrel or something. Perhaps just have three X's like in the classic cartoons. Here it is with the removable roof on."
 "I also made the Nobfather of the little gang. For him i used a bowtie and added a carnation. And a cigar of course."
" Next is spraypainting everybody black and start the painting. I'm going to try something with the car and experiment with marmite to add wear and tear features."

Less than a week later...
"Next I painted the whole car flat black then the area i wanted to show wear boltgun metal."
 "Next i applied Marmite to the boltgun metal areas."
 "I used the foam in blister packs. They have to be good for something right?"
 "I made sure i didn't get on the flat black areas."
 "I then taped up the inside and tesla coil engine so i wouldn't get tape on them and sprayed the whole thing gloss black for that 30's look. I then scrubbed, once it was dry, the marmite areas with a soft toothbrush and some warm water. The marmite areas came off and left some wear."
 "I still don't know what complementary color i'll add. Any suggestions, PM me. I got the idea for Marmite from DakkaDakka for a nurgle Rhino. http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Marmi ... ing_Method

I'm now working on painting the Ork Squad, driver and gunner."

A little less than two months later...

" Well, the "Red Tie Gang" Ork Shoota Squad project is done! Thanks to all who offered advice and verbal help. I hope to finish more off and use them in the Fall Battles to everyone's enjoyment. First, a group shot in front of Red Tie Gang One..."

"The driver is Lupo "The Leadfoot" and the gunner is "Harpo" Harry. The engine is a tesla style generator. The vehicle has a top but is considered open top so everyone can shoot out."
 "When Orks join this franchise, they have to undergo the initiation of dressing as a gangster Moll or dame. Here is "Ma", who once initiated still wore the outfit and is the longest standing member of the gang. The newest recruit is Daisy."
 "Once initiated, you get your outfit but don't get a nickname until the Nobfather gives you one. Here are Vincent and Alphonse."
 "Frankie "The Fish" and "Moth Man" Maury"
 ""Dapper" Dan and Jack 'The Clown". Jack has transferred (AKA escaped) from the Clown Slugga Boyz and is the wiseguy of the group."
 "Tommy "Two Toes" and "Lucky" Luigi"
 "Finally is the Nobfather, Carmine "The Claw" and his head enforcer "Machine Gun" Mike. Carmine keeps his boyz happy with his Gretchin's special Sasperilla and in line with Mike and his ever worn power claw."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark

Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark is a miniature agnostic skirmish ruleset that can be used for any small scale miniatures. The setting is near t...

Popular Posts