Saturday, March 8, 2014

Gottacon 2014 - Saturday

 
On Saturday morning I went to play a role-playing game but the GM was sick so the game was cancelled.
Instead I offered to the fellow running the Saturday Malifaux to demo some games for people. The first was for a father and young son, who after the game was done exclaimed that he wanted to play again as they were leaving. I also demoed for another fellow who has been interested in the game but wanted to know more. As I was demoing both games others came and watched so it was a successful few hours.
Next to me was the demo table for Drake. Its a game made in Vancouver and the models are very nice. It uses a d10 and Magic: the Gathering like card playing system. As I don't really need another miniature game what grabbed me the most was the wonderful work on the table itself both for the inner construction but also the fold-able aspect of it.
Also nearby was a Flames of War tournament. Flames of War is a small scale WW2 game.
I have been interested in it off and on. If I do get into it, I would make a 3rd Canadian division of my Grandfathers Regiment; the North Shore regiment.
After a quick lunch it was off to the Ticket to Ride tournament witht he winner getting a place in the North American tournament in Indiana at GENCON. I squeaked by to get in the top 16 but could not advance to the finals. Still had lots of fun and learned some new strategies.
I then had supper and played Fiasco for the first time with the Super Science ruleset. No, the fellow above was not the organizer but i had to take a picture of him. Fiasco is a collaborative (no GM) storytelling game that I have heard only good things about. This experience did not disappoint. We ended up with me being a superhero called 180 BPM (beats per minute) whose landlord tried to blackmail me into getting his sister's superhero team (who I was a member) to stop calling him because they thought he was the superhero, "The Landlord". His sister, "The Pantsuit", had a lackey who designed her special suits and wanted out of her domineering thumb and join the villainous Dr. Cacophonous. They were also designing an exploding bust of Beethoven for a nefarious plot. The evil doctor was approached by myself to make special glowsticks for my super-hero rave party because there was a shortage. It sounds complicated but the first half-hour is rolling dice and determining plot points that all players collaberate on to set the story. Then everyone gets two scenes and good or bad dice to give to others. Then there is a twist and a break. Then are the final two scenes where you keep the dice. The dice are rolled again and the final result of your character's success is determined then played out in short paragraph scenes. This game ended up as a dark-comedy and was thoroughly enjoyable. You can also check out Will Weaton's videos on Fiasco here, here and here.

Then I went home for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark

Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark is a miniature agnostic skirmish ruleset that can be used for any small scale miniatures. The setting is near t...

Popular Posts